Ideal Family Eye Care, LTD Sylwia Szewczyk, OD & Associates
Optometry located in Jefferson Park, Chicago, IL
Regular comprehensive eye exams are essential for good eye health, so experienced eye doctors Sylwia Szewczyk, OD, and Joanna Luty, OD, of Ideal Family Eye Care, LTD Sylwia Szewczyk, OD & Associates in the Jefferson Park neighborhood of Chicago are here to help. From eye wellness checks to eye correction to myopia control and beyond, you can reach out for expert eye care by phone or through the online scheduling tool.
Comprehensive Eye Exam Q & A
How often should I have a comprehensive eye exam?
The American Optometric Association recommends comprehensive eye exams for children and adults every 1-2 years, depending on your eye health and risk level. Your eye doctor at Ideal Family Eye Care recommends a specific schedule for your comprehensive eye exams.
Comprehensive eye exams are crucial for eye health and wellness. During these exams, your eye doctor at Ideal Family Eye Care can identify emerging issues, update prescriptions as needed, and help you with preventive eye care.
What should I bring to my eye exam?
Bring everything you use for vision correction, including your glasses, contacts, and prescription sunglasses. Also, make a list of all your current medications, including prescriptions and over-the-counter medications and supplements. If you have vision insurance, bring your insurance card or information as well.
What happens during an eye exam?
Eye exams at Ideal Family Eye Care are comprehensive. They're designed to check all aspects of your vision and eye health. You start with a medical history review with a member of the Ideal Family Eye Care team. Your provider then conducts a series of tests, including:
- Visual acuity test: checks vision sharpness at a distance and up close
- Color blindness test: checks color perception
- Cover test: evaluates how your eyes work as a team, checks for lazy eye and eye strain
- Visual field test: checks for vision loss due to glaucoma or other conditions
- Pupil test: checks pupil reaction to a bright light, which may indicate neurological issues
- Optical coherence tomography: checks your inner eye to find glaucoma, detached retina, or other serious conditions
- Retinal photography: captures back-of-the-eye images to check for damage from diabetes or another disease
Your Ideal Family Eye Care eye doctor also performs refraction tests to determine what kind of vision correction you need, if any. In a refraction test, you look through a special device, a phoropter, to check your vision through a series of lenses. You compare lenses until you find the prescription that gives you the clearest vision.
For comprehensive eye exams from a caring and committed team, click the online scheduler or call Ideal Family Eye Care for your appointment today.