Ideal Family Eye Care, LTD Sylwia Szewczyk, OD & Associates
Optometry located in Jefferson Park, Chicago, IL
Dry eyes is an irritating condition that often goes well beyond uncomfortable dryness. It often causes red eyes, burning, and even pain. If you’re struggling with dry eyes, trust the expert team led by Sylwia Szewczyk, OD, and Joanna Luty, OD, at Ideal Family Eye Care, LTD Sylwia Szewczyk, OD & Associates in the Jefferson Park neighborhood of Chicago for the latest and most effective solutions. Book your appointment online or by phone today.
Dry Eyes Q & A
What is dry eye syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome, or dry eyes, is a condition that develops when you don’t produce enough tears. This leaves you with insufficient tear film and poor eye lubrication. This common condition impacts millions of men and women today.
What are the symptoms of dry eyes?
Dry eyes can cause more problems than just dryness. Other symptoms can include:
- Red eyes
- Eyelid swelling
- Gritty or grainy feeling
If you don’t get prompt treatment, dry eyes can sometimes become so severe that you experience blurry vision or even double vision.
What causes dry eyes?
Dry eyes can develop for a number of reasons, including:
- Daily contact lens wear
- Allergies, especially seasonal allergies
- Entropion, or inward-turning eyelids
- Ectropion, or outward-turning eyelids
- Medications, including diuretics, antihistamines, and beta blockers
- Constant exposure to smoke
- Living in a dry climate
- Extended screen time on computers, tablets, phones, or other devices
- Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis
Dry eyes can also be connected to a Demodex mite infestation in your eyelids. No matter why you have dry eye symptoms, your Ideal Family Eye Care doctor is here to prescribe a treatment that works.
How are dry eyes treated?
Treatment of your dry eyes largely depends on the cause and on your symptoms. Your Ideal Family Eye Care eye doctor creates custom treatment solutions for you, which can include one or more of the following:
- Prescription eye drops to replace your tears
- Dissolvable punctal plugs to prevent your healthy tear film from draining away
- BlephEx® to clean your eyelids, removing Demodex mites, biofilm, and bacterial toxins
If your dry eyes don’t respond to any of the noninvasive treatment options, you may eventually need a laser procedure to close your tear ducts permanently. Most patients who suffer from dry eyes get excellent symptom relief with noninvasive treatments. As long as you’re committed to the treatment plan, you can get relief for dry eyes, red eyes, and other frustrating symptoms fast.
Use the online scheduler or call the expert eye care team at Ideal Family Eye Care for help with dry eyes today.