Eye Conditions Treated at Our Family Eye Care Practice
Did you know that your optometrist can do more than just prescribe eyeglasses or contacts? In our family eye care practice, we treat a variety of eye conditions each year. Many of our patients don't recognize that they have a problem until they undergo a regular eye exam. If you need an eye exam or have an existing condition that needs regular care, make Ideal Family Eye Care your choice for an optometrist in Chicago.
Conditions More Common in Pediatrics Eye Care
Children may have eye problems from birth or appear shortly after. Our optometrists encourage regular eye exams from a young age to identify and treat conditions that could impact their vision. Common conditions we see in children include:
- Lazy eye: A problem where the eyes do not have the same visual acuity, potentially causing blurred vision, squinting, or head turning to see clearly.
- Strabismus: This condition happens when the eyes do not have the same alignment. It may contribute to lazy eye. Treatment varies depending on the degree of misalignment and age of the patient.
While these conditions more commonly appear in children, they may persist into adulthood if left untreated. Regular eye exams can ensure that someone with one of these problems can get treatment early when it is most effective.
Eye Conditions We Treat in All Ages
As a family eye care practice, we also treat eye conditions in adults. Just a few of the eye conditions we can help with include the following:
- Astigmatism: When your eyes have a shape that makes seeing clearly difficult, you may need specialty contacts or glasses to correct your vision.
- Blepharitis: The name of this condition refers to an inflammation of the eyelids. You may also have crusting on your lids, redness in your eyes, itching, or eye swelling.
- Cataracts: Over time, your eyes can develop clouding over their lenses that can obscure your vision. With help from an optometrist, you can slow the rate of cataract growth or get advice on when you need surgery.
- Diabetic eye disease: People with diabetes need regular eye exams to monitor for changes in the eyes that could indicate developing eye diseases related to diabetes, such as diabetic retinopathy.
- Dry eyes: Chronically dry eyes need special care, especially if you need corrective lenses. Let us help you find relief from your painfully dry eyes.
- Glaucoma: Left untreated, glaucoma can cause vision loss. Get regular eye exams to find out if you have this condition and how to reduce its impact on your ability to see.
Set Up Eye Care Visits with Us for Everyone in Your Family
With both the ability to conduct both adult and pediatrics eye exams, we can help your whole family see well. Call our office at (773) 774-2200 to talk to us at Ideal Family Eye Care if you need an optometrist in Chicago to treat eye conditions in all ages.